Friday, November 16, 2007

Bombay Cafe @ Tanjong Katong

Went to my bf's house and decided to pop into this cafe which is nearby and since it appeared in the Top 100 food list in the Straits Times. Note that this is vegetarian Indian, so no meat. I was slightly disappointed when i discovered this fact from the menu :(


Exterior of the cafe.


Walls are plastered with pictures of movie stars.


There's Bollywood musicals screened on the TV. Counters displayed all the Indian sweets and desserts.


Gol Gappa ($6) : Traditionally known as Pani Puri ( Water Puff)
This is so fun to eat! First you gently take one of the puffs, so light and thin, and widen the opening. Stuff with the potato and chickpea filling. Lastly choose between a spicy & sweetish sauce (red one on the right) or the minty sauce (green one on the left), and pour into the puff right to the brim. Lastly, pop into your gaping mouth and enjoy the myriad of flavors coming together.




Fluffy plain naans, Spring onion Paratha and Paneer Makhani ( Thick pieces of cottage cheese draped in a rich cashew and tomato based gravy, make the Paneer Makhani tremendously satisfying)


Rocket Mango Kulfi: Mango 'ice cream' shaped like a rocket. Okay this is my LAST attempt at kulfi: the Indian's variant of the frozen dairy based dessert. I've previously tried the traditional one made with ground cardamom, saffron, and pistachio nuts. And i almost puked. I decided to give it a second chance noting that it is with Mango, my fave fruit flavor. But the minute i put a little in my mouth, i knew that was so wrong. My poor bf decided to finish it for me, despite my many attempts to stop him from doing so.

Will drop by again if i crave for veg indian cuisine, but since i'm a big fan of Murgh Makhani ( Butter chicken)...so chances are low :P I'm too carnivorous :)))

Rating: d

No comments: